Yesterday, I shared some of Dr. Marcel Hernandez’s wisdom for how to bolster your child’s immune system naturally. But I forgot to share a recipe he gave me for a breakfast that helps boost your child’s immunity (developed by Dr. Bruce Millman, ND), so I am back to remedy that omission today. First, I should preface by saying that Dr. Marcel believes our modern American diet, which is high in refined carbohydrates, wreaks havoc on our bodies’ digestive and elimination systems. And a healthy elimination system that effectively removes waste materials and toxins from the body is crucially important to the immune system. Second, Dr. Marcel also wants me to say that the below recipe is NOT designed to be hypoallergenic, so if you or your children have specific allergies to its ingredients, then you should modify it accordingly. Lastly, in order for you to notice any effects from the recipe, you need to prepare it for your kids 2 – 3 times a week over a period of two months. (People who use this recipe regularly for themselves or their children notice fewer allergic responses in general).
Here are the ingredients:
- 4 cups of Rolled grains (oats, barley, etc.)
- 2 cups of Oat bran
- 1 cup of Sunflower seeds (ground)
- 1 cup of Raw, unsalted nuts (chopped)
- 1 cup of Lecithin granules
- 1 cup of Flaxseed (ground)
- 1 cup of Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) seeds (ground)
- Fresh fruit as desired (added daily)
And here are the preparation instructions (I am a bit stymied at not having a coffee bean grinder, and I forgot to ask Dr. Marcel if a food processor or blender would work. Note to self: ask ask ask next time!):
- Grind the sunflower, flax, and milk thistle seeds in a coffee bean grinder.
- Mix all ingredients well and store in the refrigerator.
- When you want to serve it, soak the desired amount for at least 30 minutes (overnight is okay) in soy milk, nut milk, Rice Dream, diluted fruit juice, or water.
- To increase protein value, add yogurt or tofu.
Well, there you have it. I would love any comments or feedback from any fellow Moms who do go out and try this recipe and feed it to their kids!